Dad wrapped baby girl until she could not breathe prosecutors say

The indictment centers on prosecutors’ claim that recorded threats, alleged punishment and medical findings show a pattern before the baby died.

BATAVIA, Ohio — Prosecutors in Clermont County are building a murder case against Marcellaus Nekie Malone around video they say captured threats to his infant daughter before she died at 4 months old.

The April indictment changed the case from a December emergency response into a homicide prosecution focused on what investigators say happened inside a Milford apartment over at least two months. Malone, 30, is charged with felony murder, involuntary manslaughter, domestic violence and seven counts of endangering children. He has pleaded not guilty, and prosecutors say he faces a possible life sentence if convicted.

The most direct public description of the evidence came in court and in statements from Clermont County Prosecutor Mark J. Tekulve’s office. Prosecutors said investigators recovered home video of Malone speaking to the baby while she cried. Clermont County Assistant Prosecutor Nick Horton said the recording showed Malone telling the child she was “going to be a dead baby.” Horton also said Malone threatened to toss the baby on a bed if she angered him. The statements are now part of the public record surrounding the indictment, but prosecutors have not released the full video.

Investigators say the video did more than show angry words. It helped them connect the baby’s crying to an alleged method of punishment. According to prosecutors, Malone would wrap the infant tightly in a swaddle that covered her body and head, blocking her breathing until she passed out. They said he told the baby that the swaddling would stop only if she stopped crying. The claim is central to the endangering children counts because it describes repeated conduct before the fatal night. It is also central to the murder count because prosecutors say the same conduct contributed to the child’s death.

Police and medics were first called Dec. 11, 2025, to an apartment occupied by Malone after a report that the infant was unresponsive. Emergency workers tried to revive her, then transported her to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead. The child’s mother had called 911 around 12:30 a.m., according to later accounts of the call. She told dispatchers the baby was female and was not breathing. Reports of the call said both parents tried CPR before responders arrived. Prosecutors have not accused the mother of a crime in the public reports reviewed for this story.

The night of the death is described by prosecutors in narrow steps. The baby was particularly fussy, they said. Her mother swaddled her appropriately. Malone then took the child into another room and placed her in a bassinet. Prosecutors said he was the last person to see the baby alive. That sequence matters because it places Malone in control of the infant after the mother’s swaddling and before the 911 call. Defense filings could later challenge parts of that timeline, but no such challenge has been detailed in public reports.

Medical findings gave prosecutors another piece of the case. The autopsy found no other reason for the child’s death, according to the prosecutor’s release. It documented a reported history of occlusion of the nose and mouth by swaddling of the body and head as a contributory cause of death. In plain terms, prosecutors say the autopsy pointed to blocked breathing linked to the way the baby had been wrapped. The wording publicly released does not answer every medical question, including how the examiner weighed the history from investigators against physical findings from the autopsy itself.

The indictment also includes an allegation of direct physical violence. Prosecutors said Malone punched the baby in the face at least once because she was crying, causing a significant bruise. That allegation adds a second form of abuse to the swaddling claims and may become important if prosecutors try to show a broader course of conduct. It also gives context to the domestic violence charge. The public summaries do not say when the alleged punch happened, who first noticed the bruise or whether photographs of the injury were collected.

Tekulve framed the case as one involving both the death and the alleged treatment that came before it. “Children are our most precious gifts,” he said after announcing the indictment. He called the allegations “unthinkable” and said his office would seek accountability for violence against vulnerable children. His statement did not include a detailed legal argument, but it signaled that prosecutors intend to present the baby’s death as the result of what they describe as repeated cruelty inside the home.

Malone was indicted by a Clermont County grand jury on April 21. He appeared in court April 22 and entered a not guilty plea, according to local and national reports that cited court records. A judge set bond at $3 million. Earlier coverage of the case, published before or around the arraignment, listed a $1 million bond or an upcoming April 27 hearing, but later accounts from the court appearance reported the higher bond and a next court date in May. The change reflects the case’s movement from initial custody into formal felony proceedings.

The case is likely to turn on how the video, autopsy and timeline fit together. Prosecutors must prove the charges beyond a reasonable doubt, not just show that the infant died after alarming conduct. Defense attorneys may seek to suppress or limit video evidence, question whether statements on the recording show intent, or challenge the medical link between swaddling and death. Prosecutors, in turn, are expected to argue that the video shows knowledge of danger because Malone allegedly knew the swaddling could stop the baby from breathing.

The location also shapes how the evidence may be presented. The December call began in Milford Township, but the indictment and hearings are in Batavia, the Clermont County seat. That shift moves the story from the private setting of an apartment to a public courtroom where prosecutors must translate fragments of video, medical language and family timelines into charges that jurors can follow. For now, the public record identifies more allegations than courtroom-tested facts. The child’s name has not been released in the main public summaries. Officials have not said whether investigators found additional injuries beyond the alleged bruise or whether any neighbors, relatives or medical workers will testify. The mother’s role remains limited in public accounts to the proper swaddling before Malone took the baby, the 911 call and CPR efforts reported before responders arrived.

The grand jury’s decision does not decide guilt. It means prosecutors presented enough evidence for the case to move forward on the listed charges. The not guilty plea in April preserves Malone’s right to contest each count, challenge exhibits, cross-examine witnesses and require the state to prove its case. Malone remains in custody as the case continues in Clermont County Common Pleas Court. The next phase is expected to address scheduling, evidence and any pretrial motions. If no plea agreement is reached, prosecutors will have to present the video, medical findings and witness testimony to a jury before any conviction can be entered.

Author note: Last updated May 17, 2026.