Death of Northern Virginia Pastor After Firepit Explosion

FAIRFAX COUNTY, VIRGINIA – A tragic incident occurred in the Newington area of Fairfax County last month, as Kevin Corey, a local pastor, suffered severe burns after an explosion in his backyard. The pastor, who was burning documents in a firepit, was airlifted to the hospital with third-degree burns over 60% of his body. Unfortunately, he has now passed away, according to his daughter.

Corey, who served as the youth minister at Calvary Road Baptist Church, was in the process of relocating to a church in Southwest Virginia. The explosion occurred when a gas can he was using got too close to the firepit, causing it to explode and sending a plume of flame towards the pastor.

Neighbor’s Ring camera footage captured the horrifying incident, showing Corey catching fire after the explosion. His wife rushed to his aid and used a rug to put out the flames on his body. Despite her efforts and the quick response of emergency services, Corey ultimately succumbed to his injuries.

The community has been left in shock and mourning over the loss of the well-respected pastor. His dedication to the church and his congregation has left a lasting impact on many, and his sudden passing has deeply affected those who knew him. The tragic accident serves as a reminder of the dangers that can arise from seemingly routine activities, and has prompted discussions about fire safety and precautions.

As the investigation into the explosion continues, friends, family, and community members are coming together to support one another during this difficult time. Memorial services and tributes are being planned to honor the life and legacy of Pastor Kevin Corey, whose memory will continue to live on in the hearts of those who knew and loved him.