Ex-husband put a rope around Ohio woman’s neck after beating her in bed with a bat

The prison term followed a guilty plea and emotional victim-impact testimony.

LISBON, Ohio — A judge imposed a sentence of at least 39 years on Frederick L. Harroff after rejecting a shorter prison range sought by prosecutors in a case involving a bat attack, strangulation and arson.

The decision by Columbiana County Common Pleas Court Judge Scott Washam made the sentencing hearing the defining moment of the case. Prosecutors had asked for 20 years to 25 1/2 years. Washam ordered a minimum term of 39 years and said the punishment could reach 44 1/2 years if prison officials later keep Harroff for the added time allowed by law.

Washam announced the term after hearing the woman describe a night she said changed her life. She told the court Harroff attacked her on June 2, 2025, while she was in bed at a Fairfield Township home. The violence, she said, began after he left, took several pills, returned and threatened both of their lives. She recalled him saying, “I have nothing to live for, you’re not going to live either,” and, “I’m going to burn this place down and we’re both going to die.” Her account turned the sentencing from a review of charges into a detailed record of what she survived.

The woman said Harroff beat her with a heavy wooden baseball bat, placed a rope around her neck, tried to strangle her with his hands and tried to hogtie her. She said the attack lasted about an hour before she escaped through a back door and reached a neighbor’s house. Police later found a blood-soaked bed and a bloody rope inside the home. The house had been set on fire, and the woman’s injuries showed the attack had moved beyond a single act of violence. Harroff was later found in nearby woods about 100 yards from his trailer, with blood and burn marks on him.

The plea hearing had already settled the question of guilt. Harroff, 66, pleaded guilty in March to attempted murder, aggravated arson, felonious assault, kidnapping and strangulation. That plea avoided a jury trial and left Washam to decide the punishment. The judge said he weighed the record before him, including Harroff’s lack of a prior criminal history. He also referred to Harroff’s military service, steady employment, mental health history and suicide attempts. Then Washam said the facts of the attack changed the weight of the case. “Unfortunately that changed dramatically on June 2, 2025,” he said.

The sentencing hearing also showed how victim-impact statements can affect a final term. The woman told the court Harroff had shown no remorse and called him “an evil, cruel, malicious monster.” Her family also spoke. A niece framed the family’s response around survival rather than defeat, saying, “He did not win. He did not break her and he did not break us.” Those statements came before the judge went beyond the prosecution’s requested sentence. Washam called Harroff’s conduct “truly vicious and horrific,” a phrase that became the court’s clearest explanation for the length of the term.

Harroff’s own statement took a different tone. He said he did not want the woman hurt and said he accepted responsibility for the night, while also saying he could not remember all of it. “I never wanted to see her hurt,” he said. “I take responsibility for everything that happened that night. I don’t remember all that happened. I was not in my right mind.” The court had already dealt with mental-health questions before the plea. After defense counsel sought reviews, Washam adopted reports from the Forensic Psychiatric Center of Northeast Ohio finding Harroff competent and finding he did not present with symptoms of mental defect at the time of the offense.

The punishment came after months of pretrial hearings. Harroff was accused in summer 2025 and remained jailed under a $500,000 cash or surety bond after efforts to reduce it failed. A grand jury indictment added felony counts tied to the bat attack, the attempted restraint of the woman and the fire. He entered a not-guilty plea at arraignment, with defense attorney Robert Bricker appointed after Harroff was declared indigent. Trial dates were set and later changed as the court considered mental evaluations and as lawyers worked toward a resolution. By March 2026, the trial path ended with the guilty plea.

The case is now before a higher court because Harroff filed an appeal in May. The filing with the Seventh District Court of Appeals does not erase the plea or sentence. It begins a review of legal questions that may include the sentence, plea record or rulings made before the plea. The appellate court will not hear the case in the same way a jury would. Its role is to review whether legal error occurred in the Common Pleas Court. Until an appellate ruling says otherwise, Harroff’s 39-year minimum prison term remains in place.

The woman’s testimony also left a record of the case beyond court dates and charges. She described a bedroom attack, an escape through the back of the home and a final path to a neighbor’s door. The court record now includes the blood found in the bedroom, the rope, the fire and the arrest in nearby woods. Those details were central to the judge’s decision to go above the state’s recommendation.

Currently, Harroff remains convicted and sentenced while his appeal begins. The next step is for the Seventh District Court of Appeals to set the schedule for written arguments and review.

Author note: Last updated May 19, 2026.