The criminal complaint says prior threats, a key and a recovered weapon are part of the investigation.
GREEN BAY, Wis. — A woman told police her former partner said nothing before he began attacking her and another man with a machete inside her Green Bay home on April 20, according to a Brown County criminal complaint.
The statement is a key part of the attempted homicide case against David Mairena-Garcia, 29, who is accused of entering the home in the 900 block of Edgewood Drive and injuring two people before fleeing. Prosecutors charged him with six counts, including two counts of attempted first-degree intentional homicide, after police said both victims suffered serious injuries and were taken to a hospital.
The woman, 26, told investigators that Mairena-Garcia used a key to get into her home early that morning. She said he did not speak before the violence began. “David did not say anything, he just went in and started cutting them and attacking them with the machete,” she told police, according to the complaint. The other victim, a 23-year-old Green Bay man, was hit in the shoulder, forearm and shin, police said. The woman suffered lacerations to her hand and neck, along with a head injury. Police have not released either victim’s name. The woman also told police that Mairena-Garcia had made several death threats to her before the attack. She said the threats came by text message and in person. Public summaries of the complaint do not include the wording of the messages, when they were sent or whether any prior police report had been filed. The complaint says the woman and Mairena-Garcia have a child together. Authorities have not said whether the child was present, and public accounts do not describe any injuries to a child or other residents.
Investigators described a fast-moving attack that spread from the house to the street. The male victim said he got out of the bedroom and ran outside. Police said Mairena-Garcia chased him down Edgewood Drive while carrying the machete. While the man was outside, Mairena-Garcia allegedly beat the woman and later chased her out of the house. The male victim told police the suspect left in a vehicle he believed was a black SUV. The complaint does not say whether neighbors saw the attack, but the early hour and the location of the pursuit made the street part of the crime scene.
Green Bay police said officers were called about 5:15 a.m. for a report involving an edged weapon. When officers arrived, the two victims were treated at the scene before being taken for hospital care. The complaint says police then used Flock cameras to track Mairena-Garcia after he left the area. Officers arrested him during a traffic stop at about 8:35 a.m., roughly three hours after the first police response. Authorities have not publicly described the route he drove after leaving Edgewood Drive or the exact location of the stop.
After his arrest, Mairena-Garcia allegedly gave police his own account. The complaint says he told investigators he saw his “wife” and another male in his bed, lost his mind and blacked out because of rage. He also allegedly said he was thinking about “just wanting to kill them.” Police said he later told them where he threw the machete along a highway. Officers recovered the weapon. The complaint does not say whether investigators found blood or fingerprints on it, and no full forensic report has been released.
The case now turns on several types of evidence. Investigators have the woman’s statement, the male victim’s account, the suspect’s alleged comments, police observations, medical information and the recovered machete. They also may review phone records tied to the alleged threats and camera data connected to the vehicle search. Prosecutors will have to show not only that Mairena-Garcia carried out the attack, but that his conduct meets the legal standard for attempted first-degree intentional homicide. Defense filings had not been detailed in public reports. Brown County court proceedings began shortly after the complaint was filed. Local reports said Mairena-Garcia made an initial appearance, and bond was set at $750,000 cash. In addition to the attempted homicide counts, he is accused of other felonies tied to the alleged entry into the home and the injuries. If convicted of attempted first-degree intentional homicide, he could face life in prison. The court process is expected to include future hearings, possible motions, witness testimony and a closer review of the complaint’s timeline.
A separate federal issue emerged after the arrest. Jail records showed an immigration detainer hold, and federal officials said Mairena-Garcia is from Nicaragua. U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement later said he entered the United States unlawfully in 2019 and had a 2022 final order of removal. ICE said it asked Brown County officials not to release him into the community if he became eligible for release from local custody. That detainer does not decide the state charges, which will continue in Brown County court.
The victims survived, but police described the injuries as serious, and the woman’s account of earlier threats remains part of the case. As of May 17, Mairena-Garcia was being held while prosecutors continued with the attempted homicide case.
Author note: Last updated May 17, 2026.