Court records describe a long gap between the child’s morning care and the afternoon 911 call.
PINE RIVER, Minn. — The parents of 10-year-old Cecilia Cross face upgraded murder charges after police said she spent much of an August day alone in a zipped safety bed before a broken frame crushed her neck.
The case against Heather Lynn Cross and Darcy Ronald Cross centers on the time between an early morning check and an afternoon emergency call. Authorities say that gap, the condition of the bed and the state of the home support charges far beyond the manslaughter counts first filed last year.
Heather Cross told investigators she woke sometime between 4 a.m. and 6 a.m. on Aug. 25, 2025, to give Cecilia milk and medicine, according to the police account. She said both Cecilia and Cecilia’s older sister had autism and sleep disorders, and that the family used enclosed beds because the girls could get out of ordinary beds. Police said the girls could be zipped inside the safety beds from the outside. Heather Cross later said she believed she heard the girls playing around 9 a.m. Darcy Cross told authorities he went outside around noon to mow. Police say the next confirmed check on Cecilia did not come until roughly 4:30 p.m., when the parents found her unresponsive.
Responders from the Crow Wing County Sheriff’s Office and Crosslake Police Department arrived at the rural home on County Road 1 in Pine River after a caller reported that Cecilia had been crushed by her bed. Heather Cross was performing CPR. Officers tried to use a defibrillator, but they saw signs that Cecilia had died well before they reached the house. Her legs were stiff, and she showed signs of rigor mortis, police said. Investigators also reported deep marks across her neck. Darcy Cross told police he found his daughter with her head pinned under the metal canopy frame, between the wooden bed frame and the metal part above it.
The amended complaint filed months later accuses both parents of second-degree murder, alleging they caused Cecilia’s death without intent while committing felony child neglect and endangerment. That legal step changed the center of the case. The original manslaughter allegations described a child left in unsafe conditions. The new counts frame the death as occurring during another felony. The parents, who are 50 and 57, also still face earlier charges tied to Cecilia’s death and the treatment of her surviving sister. The public record described the surviving child as having autism. Her name was not released because she is a minor.
Investigators said the children’s bedroom gave them more reason to scrutinize the parents’ account. Police reported an overpowering smell of urine and feces. They said feces was on the floor, walls and bed canopy, and that the room held no furniture other than the safety bed. Heather Cross told investigators that Cecilia was nonverbal, had pica disorder and sometimes ate nonfood items, including trim and sheetrock. She described the child as a “fecal painter” and said the state of the room was normal. Police said those statements did not explain why Cecilia remained in the enclosure during daytime hours or why the damaged frame had not been repaired before the fatal incident.
The bed itself became part of the timeline. Investigators said the canopy frame had separated from the bed and looked as though it had been damaged for some time. Earlier court papers said the four vertical metal poles were not secured to the frame and were sitting loose, leaving the canopy without proper support. A technician tied to the bed supplier told authorities the broken posts appeared to have been in that condition before the day Cecilia died. Investigators also said text messages showed Heather Cross had sent pictures of the broken frame to Darcy Cross two days earlier. Police said the manufacturer had offered repair help, but the parents declined.
Days after Cecilia died, investigators returned to the home and found her older sister confined in her bed in the middle of the day. Authorities said professionals told investigators that the beds were for safe sleep, not daytime confinement while children were awake. A social services worker later told Heather Cross that the surviving child’s bed enclosure could be used only at bedtime for sleeping, according to earlier court filings. Investigators said Heather Cross reacted angrily and told the worker to leave. The sister was placed in protective custody on Sept. 17, 2025. Heather and Darcy Cross were arrested the next day.
The upgraded filing also added a financial investigation. Prosecutors say the parents wrongfully obtained assistance by exaggerating the surviving daughter’s needs through the MnCHOICES program. The program is used in Minnesota to assess long-term support needs. Investigators said the sister’s functioning after she entered protective custody was significantly different from what the parents had reported for years. Prosecutors allege that the overreporting resulted in more than $20,000 in excess payments each year from 2022 through 2025. The fraud charges are separate from the homicide charges, but they broaden the case from one day in August to a longer review of the family’s care claims.
The next major court date listed in public reports is an Aug. 3 omnibus hearing in Crow Wing County. Such hearings often address evidence, probable cause, motions and scheduling before a case moves closer to trial. Public accounts did not show a full response from defense attorneys to the upgraded charges. The allegations remain accusations unless proven in court.
For now, prosecutors are pressing a case built around a morning dose of milk and medicine, an afternoon discovery and a bed investigators say had already failed. Cecilia’s sister remains in protective custody while the parents await the next court milestone.
Author note: Last updated May 22, 2026.