Son saws up 93-year-old father and steals his benefits police say

The alleged crime now before the court is benefit theft, not the disposal of Lawrence Drotleff’s remains.

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Federal prosecutors are pursuing theft charges against an Ohio man after DNA testing helped identify his father as the victim in a 1998 Tuscarawas County suitcase remains case.

The charges mark the first court case to grow out of a mystery that began when children found body parts along a rural road nearly three decades ago. Authorities say Larry J. Drotleff, 81, cannot be prosecuted in Ohio for abuse of a corpse because the statute of limitations has expired. Instead, he faces federal accusations that he collected more than $246,000 in Social Security and pension payments meant for his father, Lawrence A. Drotleff.

The federal case turns on money that continued to arrive after Lawrence Drotleff’s death went unknown to authorities. Prosecutors allege Larry Drotleff stole about $111,485 in Social Security benefits and about $135,040 from his father’s General Electric pension. The payments allegedly continued from around the time the remains were found in 1998 until years later because agencies and pension administrators did not know Lawrence Drotleff had died. Authorities say Larry Drotleff had once told Social Security investigators that his father had moved away, leaving investigators without proof at that time that the elder Drotleff was dead.

The benefit records became more important after the cold case was reopened. In 2023, Tuscarawas County Sheriff Orvis L. Campbell asked detectives to take a new look at the case, which had started Feb. 1, 1998. That day, children found a suitcase on Winkler Hill Road in Dover Township. The suitcase held unidentified male body parts. A second suitcase containing more remains was found days later on Boltz Orchard Road in Jefferson Township, about 15 miles from the first scene. Investigators collected DNA and other evidence, but the technology available then did not identify the man or point to a suspect.

Modern testing gave investigators a lead that old methods could not. The sheriff’s office said money seized in an older drug case helped pay for the new DNA work. With help from the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation and analysts Lisa Savage and Jenn Dillion, detectives found a possible family connection in Euclid. The lead brought them to Larry Drotleff. Additional DNA testing confirmed that the remains belonged to Lawrence A. Drotleff and that Larry Drotleff was his biological son, authorities said. Lawrence Drotleff would have been about 93 when the suitcases were found.

When investigators interviewed Larry Drotleff in January 2024, he described a death at home, not a killing, according to the sheriff’s office. He said he had been living with his father, went to work and returned to find him dead. Authorities said he then admitted using a manual hand saw to cut up the body. He said he put some body parts in the two suitcases and placed other parts in bags that were discarded in a dumpster near his workplace. Investigators have not announced evidence that Lawrence Drotleff was murdered. Campbell said the case did not prove to be a homicide.

That distinction shaped the legal outcome. A death investigation that could not prove murder left state officials looking at possible charges tied to the handling of the body. But Ohio’s deadline for abuse of a corpse had already passed, authorities said. The sheriff’s office then worked with the FBI and the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Cleveland to pursue charges that were still available under federal law. Those charges focus on alleged conversion and theft of government and pension funds. The case is pending in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, where prosecutors must prove the financial counts.

Campbell used unusually direct language in describing the case. “While the case did not prove to be a murder, it should be noted that the inhumane treatment of the corpse was conduct so inexcusable that this case remained a priority for the Tuscarawas County Sheriff’s Office,” he said. He added, “It remains difficult to comprehend that the greed of theft could cause someone to treat their father’s body in this manner.” Capt. Adam Fisher said the office wanted residents to know that a cold case file did not mean investigators had stopped caring. “We do care. We don’t forget,” Fisher said.

The federal charges also bring attention to a common problem in long-running unidentified remains cases: without a name, records often sit in separate systems. A body can remain unidentified while financial payments, housing records, employment records or family explanations continue under old assumptions. In this case, authorities say the remains were unidentified for years even though Lawrence Drotleff’s name existed in benefit records. The missing link was proof that the remains belonged to him. Once DNA supplied that link, detectives could compare the timeline of the body’s discovery with the timeline of payments made after his death.

The original scenes remain central to the case, even though the courtroom fight now concerns money. The first suitcase was found by children near woods in Dover Township. The second was found on another rural road in Jefferson Township. The distance between the two locations suggested deliberate disposal, but it did not reveal who the man was. Investigators had DNA from both suitcases, and testing showed the body parts came from one person. What they did not have in 1998 was a database match or a family lead. The old evidence waited until newer science could answer the first question.

Ohio lawmakers have separately considered changes aimed at cases involving concealed human remains, including proposals tied to removing time limits for abuse of a corpse in some situations. The Drotleff case shows why the issue matters to investigators, but those proposals do not change the charges already filed in this case. For now, the live proceeding is the federal case over alleged Social Security and pension theft. The sheriff’s office has not announced additional state charges. Any sentence, plea or trial date will come from the federal court process.

Larry Drotleff is presumed innocent unless convicted in court. Lawrence Drotleff’s remains have been identified, and the case that began with two suitcases in 1998 now moves through federal court on financial charges.

Author note: Last updated May 19, 2026.