Propane Explosion Claims Life of Woman in Douglas County Home

DOUGLAS COUNTY, Mo. – A tragic incident unfolded in Douglas County as a woman lost her life in a propane explosion while inside her home. Late Saturday night, emergency crews from multiple fire departments swiftly responded to the scene along County Road 132. Out of the two individuals present during the explosion, one managed to escape with minor injuries, but unfortunately, the other remained trapped inside the two-story house.

According to family friend Sherry Crews, the survivor experienced the force of the blast, which prevented him from reaching the exit due to debris obstructing his path. Despite his attempts to rescue the trapped individual by climbing onto the roof, the destruction was too severe. The homeowner had reportedly been detecting the smell of gas for days but was unable to identify the source of the leak, leading up to the unfortunate explosion.

Having lived with the victim for nearly a year, Sherry and John Crews are now faced with the daunting task of finding new accommodations after losing not only their friend but also their possessions, including their pet dog. The homeowner’s identity has been withheld as Douglas County deputies work to notify the next of kin.

In the wake of this devastating event, the community mourns the loss of a life and the challenges faced by those close to the victim. The incident serves as a stark reminder of the importance of promptly addressing potential safety hazards to prevent such tragedies from recurring in the future. As the investigation continues, authorities urge residents to prioritize the maintenance of their homes and to promptly address any concerns regarding gas leaks.